1. Old fashion of Old History ChurchHistory of Our Church


The Lake Helen Congregational Church was founded in 1887. It was the first church to be built to accommodate the spiritual needs of the people of a new city. The ten organizing men and women wished to worship according to the “Congregational Way.”

On April 8, 1888, the doors to the new church were opened. Architect J.P. Mace was hired to construct the building on the pine covered lot at the corner of Euclid and Main Street. Mr. Mace was the first mayor of Lake Helen and a member of this congregation.  The cost, including the spire, was $2,850. The church’s gingerbread trim is reminiscent of New England. The building not only served as a place of worship, but also as a public meeting place. The only other public building was the log school house.

Later additions and renovations to the building include:

  • 1914 - running water installed
  • 1957 - new kitchen built and social hall enlarged
  • 1962 - cabinets installed in kitchen
  • 1984 - Dove of Peace window dedicated to all peace workers
  • 1986 - Joseph and Jesus window was given by the Hosley family
  • 1988 - bathrooms installed

During the summer of 2001, in keeping with its architectural style, the church interior was refurbished.  Walls and ceilings were repainted and carpeting laid. The original wooden "theater type" seats were removed and replaced with cushioned oak pews. Most of the wooden seats were donated to the Lake Helen City Hall for their auditorium.


Originally gold leaf stenciling, just a bove the chair rail, enhanced the sanctuary. Over the years it disappeared under layers of paint. As a finishing touch a wallpaper border similar in pattern to the stenciling was placed above the chair rail...thus completing the refurbishing.




© 2017 First Congregational United Church of Christ
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community